Corsa-C.ro
taedla01

Tutorial: Repair OP-COM

Hello everyone,

Many of us have official diagnostic tools: TECH2, MDI, VCI… But many troubles can be searched and solved with simplest tool: OP-COM

OP-COM (or VAUX-COM) sometime gets corrupted due to a firmware change or a low voltage connection. When OP-COM software shows no connection or interface error is caused mainly by two troubles: the FTDI communication chip and the MCU chip itself (PIC18F458).

Next steps will help you in the task of bring back to life your bricked OP-COM.

*Note: this tutorial is only intended for those like have an OP-COM with the original Microchip PIC18F458 chip, forget to attemp with fake chips.

TOOLS FOR REPAIR ARE ATTACHED TO THIS POST

First part: regarding OP-COM FTDI chip.

Firstly, we have to check FTDI chip. Go to Control Panel -> Device administrator and search for “USB Serial Converter” or “OP-COM USB V2”.

38269640341_743f70b379_b.jpg

Right click and open properties dialog, serch for “hardware ID” in details dialog.

38269640151_bc999d4c64_b.jpg

If yours shows 0000 at the end of the PID properties, as would be in this case: USB/VID_0403&PID_6001&REV_0000 instead of USB/VID_0403&PID_6001&REV_0600, your FTDI chip is corrupted. Sometimes is showed “4F50” instead of “0600”, both values are good.

Next step is to flash FTDI chip with trusted OP-COM .ept file, wich contents rights properties for OP-COM software connections.

So open MProg, go to Device -> Scan, this will show detected FTDI devices:

38269638941_ced48452ed_b.jpg

38269639231_6aede8da3e_b.jpg

Go to:File -> Open, and select OP-COM.ept from downloaded folder:

38269638451_f7b3468e06_b.jpg

Now, check for correct values (in GREEN). If all is right, flash FTDI chip (in RED):

38269639421_21bd59d08f_b.jpg

When finish, you will have a new serial number assigned to your OP-COM interface:

38269639111_26e63e09a3_b.jpg

Pay attention to next: close all and disconnect OP-COM from USB. Restart computer. Once operating system has been loaded, plug in OP-COM, go to Control Panel -> Device administrator, and search for “OP-COM USB V2” which appears with no driver installed:

38269639981_d6e8cb9031_b.jpg

Right click, open Properties -> Driver -> Update Driver, search for driver in computer (not internet), select from a list of drivers, click on “show all devices”. Select from disk and search for driver included in downloaded folder (ftdibus.inf). Windows will ask you if you want to install non validate driver, click yes and wait for installation.

Once finished, check in “Device administrator” if OP-COM appears as “USB Serial Converter” and if in Properties -> Details -> Hardware ID (PID) is correct .

If you have done all, open OP-COM (or VAUX-COM) software and go to Settings -> Test interface. If your FTDI chip and your MCU PIC18F458 are ok, you will see your OP-COM firmware versión:

38269639591_cb80fe5bdb_b.jpg

If not, you have a bad day… MCU chip must be flashed and you need a Pickit programmer or any other compatible programmer.

Second part: How to flash MCU chip.

*This tutorial is for Microchip Pickit V3.

Firstly, dissasembly your OP-COM and solder some wires as described here:

38269639781_ded7da969d.jpg

Secondly, connect these wires to Pickit like this:

38269638551_7cd30c3fb0.jpg

You must to have something like this (do not take care about programmer used in image):

38269635931_96db6cc2a1_z.jpg

Next, install PICkit3Setup.exe from downloaded folder. Connect all systems (OP-COM <-> Pickit <-> USB) before open Pickit software.

Open software, go to “device family” and look for “18F4XX”. Software will now show chip as detected.

"Read" chip and then "Erase" it. Wait.

Verify chip, do a “Blank Check” and "Read" chip again. In “programm memory” all values must show FFFF in bits locations.

Go to File -> Import HEX and search for “FW1.39+Bootloader.hex” file included in downloaded folder.

In main window, under “Program memory” there is a field named “Source”. There must appears our firmware file “FW1.39+Bootloader.hex”.

If all is ok, press “Write”. Pickit will program the MCU chip with OP-COM Bootloader and Firmware.

When finish, make a “Verify” and a “Read”. If all goes well, now you have your OP-COM resurrected.

Open OP-COM (or VAUX-COM) software and go to Settings -> Test interface. If your FTDI chip and your MCU PIC18F458 are ok, you will see your OP-COM firmware versión:

38269639591_cb80fe5bdb_b.jpg

*Note: If you want to update your interface from 1.39 to newer version, you can use OC-FLASH tool for do it (OC-FLASH is not included).

Hope it helped you.

Regards from Spain,

Dario.

OPCOM V5 Repair.rar

Edited by taedla01
Attach OPCOM V5 Repair.rar

Thanks, I currently have a problem with this, for few months already, once you do this procedure, there is no way an HQ clone will work on this PC. I tried all I could, but cannot get it working.

Hi @liviu2004,

Maybe we can try new tricks:

- Can you reproduce this problem in others PCs? Perhaps your OS has installed new drivers that are not supporting your hardware version. Before attempt to do anything, install FTDI drivers 2.8.14 and then follow my tutorial.

- Is this Op-Com a real HQ Clone? Be careful with this, I saw HQ Clones that have MCU PIC18F4580 (id=0x1a80) instead of PIC18F458 (id=0x860), you can check it using MPLAB IPE.

- Can you verify your FTDI chip? Maybe is a fake chip. Check this out:
If you can read your PIC18F458 with PICkit3 software and in the "program memory" fields you can see the bits configured, you have your MCU chip programmed, so the problem could be your FTDI chip. You can compare the bits between the firmware file “FW1.39+Bootloader.hex” and the MCU chip to confirm if the chip is correctly programmed.

38334621222_20b231c6cd.jpg

- What OP-COM software version are you using? What was the firmware loaded into the Op-com interface before the problem occurred? Remember that if the previous firmware was >=1.60 you need to flash onto MCU chip that version or newer due to a change in bootloader version, i.e, you can not update firmware from 1.39 to 1.60 directly with OC-FLASH.

Regards from Spain,
Dario.

I can reproduce this problem on all PCs where I have done according post #1. I had this instructions and done this at least 1 year ago. I've done it when I had the chinese clone.

Once I use HQ clone, it just does not work on such mod PCs.

On all other PCs where I haven't apply #1, this interface works well.

This opcom is a real HQ clone, which works with 150406b. Not china clone lets be clear on that.

There is no problem with the PIC mcu, as this opcom works just fine on unmod PC.

There is no point to compare with 1.39 + bootloader.hex, as this is a HQ clone running 1.64 firmware, so I doubt hex is the same.

I don't believe the FTDI is fake neither damaged, as it works on other PC. Driver is 2.12.28.0 16.08.2017.

For sure the problem is somewhere in the windows install drivers, however, I couldn't undo what is done according post #1.

So users be aware: once you fix according #1, for the moment there is no way you can ever use HQ clones. Unless probably you do a clean win install.

Edited by liviu2004

hi

guys i have a problem with my clone opcom  ,  the test result show me the interface is not connected to the car . driver is installed ,  software recognize the interface presence , but cannot go further ,   i used the mprog  to flash ftdi chip and was successful .  but the same problem at software test ,  i tried oc-flash , it only allow to flash bootloader ,not possible to flash firmware , it shows error messege  that maybe chip is burned or empty pic. when i plug the interface to the car red light is turning on , same as i connect it to the ubs , no other light blinking or turned on also . 

there is one strange situation with driver instalation also : with driver comes with opcom and also driver posted here , after i updated driver , one device will be added and another unknown device added too , so i updated secound device , third unknow device appeared , and so on .... , at the software it shows more than one interface in installed ! so i let only one device installed and one unknown left without driver , in other web sites i found another driver , which fix the issue and no duplicate of device remain present , but with both approach main problem exist .  

how can i solve this problem ?

i used windows 10 , windoes 7 , 2 diffrent computers . 

and my interface is opcom china , double sided with the  PIC18F458  chip . 

Edited by vicjoy

On 11/12/2017 at 7:25 PM, taedla01 said:
Hi @liviu2004,

Maybe we can try new tricks:

- Can you reproduce this problem in others PCs? Perhaps your OS has installed new drivers that are not supporting your hardware version. Before attempt to do anything, install FTDI drivers 2.8.14 and then follow my tutorial.

- Is this Op-Com a real HQ Clone? Be careful with this, I saw HQ Clones that have MCU PIC18F4580 (id=0x1a80) instead of PIC18F458 (id=0x860), you can check it using MPLAB IPE.

- Can you verify your FTDI chip? Maybe is a fake chip. Check this out:
If you can read your PIC18F458 with PICkit3 software and in the "program memory" fields you can see the bits configured, you have your MCU chip programmed, so the problem could be your FTDI chip. You can compare the bits between the firmware file “FW1.39+Bootloader.hex” and the MCU chip to confirm if the chip is correctly programmed.

38334621222_20b231c6cd.jpg

- What OP-COM software version are you using? What was the firmware loaded into the Op-com interface before the problem occurred? Remember that if the previous firmware was >=1.60 you need to flash onto MCU chip that version or newer due to a change in bootloader version, i.e, you can not update firmware from 1.39 to 1.60 directly with OC-FLASH.

Regards from Spain,
Dario.

You're missing the pickit v3.10 msi from the rar archive. It can be found here. The setup will work afterwards:

http://www.microchip.com/development-tools/pic-and-dspic-downloads-archive

Hi!

I have an OP-Com 1.99... I received it, and it didn't manage to connect to any of my cars. According to a readme included on the CD, I should update to v1.59 through OCFlash, but checking on the board it was a v5. I did it, and it kept on not connecting to the car. However, it can't flash any other thing now (latest fw file I have is v1.59), neither OCFlash or OPComFut, both read as v1.59 and no issue, but when trying to change to v1.39 or any other it says bootloader is empty and all these messages... On MProg I tried with different ept files, the serial changes successfully, but no real change is made...

Any idea? Any other fw file I could try?

Thanks and regards from Spain!

PS: My OPCom board is as attached (PIC18F458 I/PT 1823SVU)

73185327022835610.jpg

Hello, your interface i am afraid is a fake board is bad i think, D5 an C22 should not be there if the MCU is a original chip. I am sorry to tell you but you are not doing anything wrong... is just a very bad copy... you could try removing the D5 and C22 and give it a try like that...

What are you after should look like this:

IMG_20181213_224236_zpsalpuuz2e.jpgIMG_20181213_224247_zpsudbuhz7i.jpgIMG_20181213_224637_zpscrhdfr7m.jpgIMG_20181213_224648_zpszzjp6nsg.jpgIMG_20181202_211423_zpswffer0ve.jpg

22 hours ago, SpAwNtoHell said:

Hello, your interface i am afraid is a fake board is bad i think, D5 an C22 should not be there if the MCU is a original chip. I am sorry to tell you but you are not doing anything wrong... is just a very bad copy... you could try removing the D5 and C22 and give it a try like that...

What are you after should look like this:

IMG_20181213_224236_zpsalpuuz2e.jpgIMG_20181213_224247_zpsudbuhz7i.jpgIMG_20181213_224637_zpscrhdfr7m.jpgIMG_20181213_224648_zpszzjp6nsg.jpgIMG_20181202_211423_zpswffer0ve.jpg

No luck 😪

I removed them as u told me, but I am getting same thing. Well, as it did once, it looks like it is doing something on the car, it doesn't say interface no communication, but it stays in blank and says error. Still, I see the infotainment screen gets crazy, and if trying to enter to vehicle DTC, I got ABS and other lights on the dash, but nothing shown on PC.

It says on OP Com CRC Error = 00 IC = 00 for Infotainment Sysrem, or for ECU Pressence check it says Init... And then it says no communication.

Any idea?

Thank u so much!

PS: I got a PIC Programmer as said in first post, but I am not sure how to use it, since the pictures look confusing for me

Edited by miguelang611

First try not connected on the car and make sure:

Do you pass the interface test in op-com?

What does it display?

What is the ftdi driver that you use?

Check device manager the driver for "USB Serial Converter"  should be dated 12/07/2013 version 2.8.30.0 if later is installed is 100% not going to work, if on win 10 has the tendency to put the latest driver...so win7 is recommended.

Check at USB Serial Converted properties in details hardware id is correct like in the picture above from the beginning.

If all above are covered and are ok....

9 hours ago, SpAwNtoHell said:

First try not connected on the car and make sure:

Do you pass the interface test in op-com?

What does it display?

What is the ftdi driver that you use?

Check device manager the driver for "USB Serial Converter"  should be dated 12/07/2013 version 2.8.30.0 if later is installed is 100% not going to work, if on win 10 has the tendency to put the latest driver...so win7 is recommended.

Check at USB Serial Converted properties in details hardware id is correct like in the picture above from the beginning.

If all above are covered and are ok....

When doing test interface it shows v1.59 and serial number.

For the drivers, I tried the ones included in Vaux Com and also the 2.8.00 manually installed, which are older.

I am trying on 2 computers, Windows 10 and Windows XP, both are showing USB Serial Converter, and v1.59, but the only one which seems to try doing something (the screen changing and doing strange things, lights on and off in the dash) is with OP Com China Clone on the W10 computer.

And yes, everything is showing as the first post says. So no idea.

Is reprogramming the PIC possible as said in the first post? I tried to put the cables as described but I have no experience with electronics and it was so hard, the connectors of the PIC were pretty pretty small and I couldn't...

Thanks and regards!

Once you flashed another firmware in a fake chip, interface bye bye.

Edited by liviu2004

On 12/15/2018 at 12:41 PM, liviu2004 said:

Once you flashed another firmware in a fake chip, interface bye bye.

I did cause it was said in a readme file attached in the CD. It said that if it didn't work properly, I should update it to v1.59 through OCFlash.

I have no idea why the hell they included that shit.

But well, thank u for the info!

In theory, you can flash it with pic, but no one has the modified chinese firmware. 1.99 is fake anyway, they increase the numbering for commercial fooling...

8 hours ago, liviu2004 said:

In theory, you can flash it with pic, but no one has the modified chinese firmware. 1.99 is fake anyway, they increase the numbering for commercial fooling...

Which is then v1.70? I bought a new v1.70 which is supposed to be original PIC and it is advertised as firmware upgrade capable. I doubt which is the real firmware though (I asked seller for original firmware file, who knows...)

According to a guide which I found on Internet, this v1.70 is the "OpCom New" board, which is supposed to be the best of the clones made, here I attach an image. It can be reprogrammed through OCFlash and also has the ICSP port. It is easily identifiable because of the chip next to USB port, which can't be found on the rest of the boards.

On the other side, the v1.99 I bought is the worst of the 4 clone boards available, the D5 and C22 are just a prove of the false PIC, which makes it uncapable of any modification of firmware. I didn't try Pickit way yet...

And that is what I can tell u by now! Thank u all!

459503462179669202__01.jpg

Edited by miguelang611

First that is the reason i put the pictures up is to show you how good boards look like... one has the original FTDI chip second a newer model the long type one

Second:

!07.10.2018
Surprise..... OP-COM Advanced MPC based ECU Flasher.... 😉
Latest firmware is V01.67
Latest software is 180603c

So no way any firmware above 1.67 will be good is just a gimmick done like a 1.39 or 1.45 to look as way higher, what i like to do is use OC flash to flash it to 1.33 (if board is good and supports up to 1.59) and once i get in the op-com and do interface test, the op-com will flash it accordingly up to 2010 to 1.39 or if i open 120309 will flash to 1.45... (which means 2012).... 

For myself  i have 3 interfaces depending of use and needs one running 1.39 one running 1.45 and a HQ using 1.64, but most of time is use 1.39 one in 100219 or 090821d last i found best using on Corsa C.

So what i think you need to do is either find a source to get a good board, or to try to identify what you have already (can you take some pictures of the actual board? sometimes fakes are very convincing) the last you posted ...

The chip next to the usb port is the FTDI chip that in my boards is either on the back (first of my pics, feel free to enlarge in photo bucket link) and second variation of the chip is the square small one in pic no 3 and 5 next to usb port.

What opcom software do  you try to use? as for example my 1.64fw will not work with old software. With win 10 is a issue anyway with opcom... so i would not try anything else above win7

2 hours ago, SpAwNtoHell said:

First that is the reason i put the pictures up is to show you how good boards look like... one has the original FTDI chip second a newer model the long type one

Second:

!07.10.2018
Surprise..... OP-COM Advanced MPC based ECU Flasher.... 😉
Latest firmware is V01.67
Latest software is 180603c

So no way any firmware above 1.67 will be good is just a gimmick done like a 1.39 or 1.45 to look as way higher, what i like to do is use OC flash to flash it to 1.33 (if board is good and supports up to 1.59) and once i get in the op-com and do interface test, the op-com will flash it accordingly up to 2010 to 1.39 or if i open 120309 will flash to 1.45... (which means 2012).... 

For myself  i have 3 interfaces depending of use and needs one running 1.39 one running 1.45 and a HQ using 1.64, but most of time is use 1.39 one in 100219 or 090821d last i found best using on Corsa C.

So what i think you need to do is either find a source to get a good board, or to try to identify what you have already (can you take some pictures of the actual board? sometimes fakes are very convincing) the last you posted ...

The chip next to the usb port is the FTDI chip that in my boards is either on the back (first of my pics, feel free to enlarge in photo bucket link) and second variation of the chip is the square small one in pic no 3 and 5 next to usb port.

What opcom software do  you try to use? as for example my 1.64fw will not work with old software. With win 10 is a issue anyway with opcom... so i would not try anything else above win7

Well, the last board I uploaded is the one of the OpCom I am waiting to arrive (AliExpress) (with big chip next to the board, since it is the one I read it worked well) I read that is the newest and best clone board, since the PIC is real while board is better designed. I will open it when received to confirm what it is...

And well, the other one I have is fake, then it is likely dead... I Iwill try flashing through Pickit, don't really care if it completely dies, since it is already unusable. Hopefully I got a full refund thanks to AliExpress dispute mediation (seller didn't want to help)

Cheers!

As far as i know ... Opcom new boards are not very good.... But i hope yours is fine.

Edited by SpAwNtoHell

Hello good people and greetings to you!

Yesterday I received my OPCOM v1.78 from aliexpress. Tested it, and everything was OK!

Today I programed DRL Lights, and programed tire circumference. Everything was OK!

After a trip today I wanted to program tire circumference again but now my OPCOM is not working!

I tried re installing the drivers but no success, I also try to use "flashing" and repairing methods but with no success! My PC won't recognize the device (opcom)!

Did my OPCOM broke donw? Can I rapair it? Is thre something I can do? CAN YOU HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!

Untitled.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

20190120_224518 [1600x1200].jpg

20190120_224555 [1600x1200].jpg

Like said above, D5 and C22 should not be there with an genuine pic.

Flashing fake chip makes it unusable. 

Can you try it in another pc?

12 hours ago, liviu2004 said:

Like said above, D5 and C22 should not be there with an genuine pic.

Flashing fake chip makes it unusable. 

Can you try it in another pc?

I tried on a opel mecahnic's laptop his v1.59 woks great, my opcom says "Unknown Device"

I think my laptop may have connected to a wifi network while I was using it. And I think the software bricked my device!

Is there a way to restore the device?

No.

1 hour ago, liviu2004 said:

No.

Haha. What a straight answer!

Does this mean I must never use opcom while connected to internet?

Can the software destroy opcom-s even if I always use it offline?

Being online is not relevant. But flashing firmware in a so called fake chip, makes that opcom garbage. 

That’s why I say, simple No.

You can also read just above, another user did exactly the same thing and same problem.