Corsa-C.ro

Probă ESP, cam greu de filmat de unul singur:

Hello,

I admire you retrofitted the ESP system successfully! I need to know the exact pinout on the steering angle sensor for my project (I need to read the steering angle value) - you say there are 2+2 pins (+1 unused?) - I guess 2 are for power (12V + ground) and the other 2 are CAN BUS (can high + low)? Do you remember which pins are which? Maybe 1-2 for power and 3-4 for canbus (1 is on which side?)?

I would really appreciate such information!

Thanks is advance!

Take care!

Jan

Hi Jan, let me look into the diagram. TIS2000 has a mistake there. I had to buy 3 sensors to actually figure out I did a beginners mistake. :D

If you want to read the steering angle value by canbus, I am interested also for one of my projects, corner lighting.

Edited by liviu2004

So, herewith the pin configuration for ESP sensor value only, if you need more from the plug, let me know:

1 - 0V

2 - +12V continuous

3 - HSCAN low (-)

4 - HSCAN high (+)

5 - +12V contact

13 - 0V

plug.pdf

plug.PNG

Edited by liviu2004

Hi liviu2004,

thanks for a fast and valuable reply. I got the SAS sensor, took the PCB out and asked at Stack Exchange for the pinout - user called rfkortekaas seems to have found out correctly! :) His comment is here:

According to the connections pin 1 is an output or input (probably identification or status signal). Pin 2 and 3 can high and low. I cannot determine the order from the picture. 4 is power the ldo has a wide input range so +12volt will be fine. Pin 5 is ground (is connected underneath the connector to the plane.

The pins are just numbered from the other side in my post on SE (your pin 1 is my pin 5) ...

I understand pins 1-4 but what is pin 5 "+12V contact"? Do you know its function? Is it input or output? That guy says "identification or status signal" but I dont know what that can mean... does it need connected somehow or can the sensor work without pin 5 connected?

Regarding steering angle data - once I have CAN bus set up I hope it will be easy, there usually is raw data output which is easy to decode - please ping me in this thread in some time (say 2-4 weeks) and I hope to tell you.

I try to robotize the Corsa C (= control it remotely - a kind of "autonomous car" project :) so I need to control steering too - my plan is to directly drive the power steering motor by myself and use the SAS as a rotary encoder for feedback. Do you know anything about the power steering motor? Or could you find out? I will be getting the motor shortly and will again disassemble it to see how it works and hopefully drive it myself soon...

I am mostly robotics developer (but just in spare time) I am quite struggling with the automotive stuff and parts... it seems like there are some powerful tools (like the diagnostic SW you use - I mean TIS2000 and others) but the market is so fragmented that it is hard to find out things for me... (not like the PC industry for example :). I chose the Corsa C because it is the cheapest used car that seems to have simple power steering motor and also simple steering angle sensor... later I want to hack the accelerator pedal (to set its position programaticaly again) and also hack an ABS/ESP module to enable brake-by-wire (the idea is to actuate the HCU pump motor manually and make the car brake like that)...

Do you maybe know something about the pedal or the ABS/ESP unit? The pedal will probably be easy, the pump will be bigger challenge :) But again, its working principle is quite easy, so with some hacking, setting its valves/solenoids to correct positions it should be doable I guess...

Edited by mrbean55

Pin 5 is ignition live. This is an input to the board, sensor will start canbus communicating its angle, when this pin is energized.

The reason to have a permanent supply is to remember its calibration, otherwise, user will have to calibrate each and every time the sensor, not convenient in a car application.

For sure I am interested in the decoding, I think I can find somewhere the canbus speed. I used to look for the canmonitor pro application, but I am just too busy with other things.

I do not have much info about the dc motor for steering, but I know it has a torque sensor on it (actually more like 2 potmeters to indicate which direction the steering wheel goes).

Accelerator pedal has 2 potmeters, I can get the voltage levels quite easy, 5V input to each and then read-out the 0 and 100% pedal, let me know if you need it.

HCU pump activation is not sufficient, you need to open the brake valves as well. Actually each time the car moves, ABS checks its own motor and pressure, for a split second.

The problem with braking is that the ABS system is ON/OFF, while you need proportional control. Think about it, maybe you choose a different route.

Edited by liviu2004

2 hours ago, liviu2004 said:

Pin 5 is ignition live. This is an input to the board, sensor will start canbus communicating its angle, when this pin is energized.

The reason to have a permanent supply is to remember its calibration, otherwise, user will have to calibrate each and every time the sensor, not convenient in a car application.

Ok, nice to know it is an input. I am not sure if calibration applies to me because my SAS wont be connected to the car (I may not even use a Corsa with ESP but retrofit the SAS only) - I will try how the sensor behaves with pin 5. But I guess when +12V is present and not interrupted then the sensor gives a "calibrated" reading (given calibration was done. I can do such calibration myself - just drive straight (hands off wheel) and see what the angle is (it may not be 0 but a few degrees instead - that will be the "new" calibrated zero).

For sure I am interested in the decoding, I think I can find somewhere the canbus speed. I used to look for the canmonitor pro application, but I am just too busy with other things.

Knowing CAN speed would be nice but I think my OBD scanner could determine it itself...

I do not have much info about the dc motor for steering, but I know it has a torque sensor on it (actually more like 2 potmeters to indicate which direction the steering wheel goes).

The torque sensor seems to be connected to the ECU and the motor seems to be driven by the ECU - my plan is to go directly to the motor (it has 2 wires only). There will be a custom motor driver needed probably, but that will be easier than trying to hack the ECU... and in the end, the great thing about electric motors is that you can always change it for a different custom one (just fit it correctly mechanically) which you can drive...

Accelerator pedal has 2 potmeters, I can get the voltage levels quite easy, 5V input to each and then read-out the 0 and 100% pedal, let me know if you need it.

I will need this. Will appreciate any info you can provide. I wonder whether the various pedals (I saw multiple versions online) are electrically compatible - I guess they are.

HCU pump activation is not sufficient, you need to open the brake valves as well. Actually each time the car moves, ABS checks its own motor and pressure, for a split second.

The problem with braking is that the ABS system is ON/OFF, while you need proportional control. Think about it, maybe you choose a different route.

You mean brake valves (=solenoids?) in the HCU? Yes proportional control is needed - this goes back to if the motor can change RPMs I guess... if it cant, again you can replace it with different motor... I suppose that the brake fluid pressure is proportional to the motor RPMs. It may actually work with fixed RPMs too just trying to work with proper duty cycle (motor on 50% of the time for example etc.) - but that may be a little tricky, dont know if that is posible mechanically with such electric motor.

Most of the above are my wild plans and guesses, they may or may not work... but I am sometimes surprised how things are simple (=simple to hack too).

There you go.

0%.png

100%.png

Thanks a lot! So if I understand it correctly the APP sensor 1 and 2 voltages map those values to 0 and 100 % accelerator position. Do you maybe have the pinout from the accelerator pedal itself?

My main task now will be to drive the power steering motor - could you provide its electric characteristics? I mean voltage and amps used to drive it. I will get my hand on the motor next week so explore it (I guess it is a simple brushed DC motor since it only has 2 power wires).

I have also the pinout, but not this evening, I am too tired to get them.

I can get some diagnostic data for the steering motor, but the V/A will depend on the torque required, for example steering with vehicle speed 0 requires more torque. Must be a map in the motor drive.

Ok, thanks for posting the pinout in advance. You are right with the torque map. It would be also possible to hack the torque sensor and let the original ECU control the motor - but then again I think the reading from the torque sensor does also depend on the vehicle speed (higher speed will result in less input torque on the steering wheel) - it seems to be the same problem, just inverted. Actually one may log the torque sensor data (=voltage?) during driving and find what is the dependency between the input torque and vehicle speed for a given steering angle change... this sounds also a bit complicated though and time-consuming, but may be doable.

I plan to ask on SE how to drive the motor, but I need to gather the most possible info first.

PS. Maybe the rotary encoder feedback provided by the SAS will simplify the driving of motor - if no movement would be detected then more torque would be required from the motor... just a simple function, no need for an exact torque/speed map.

herewith the pinout for the pps.

pps.pdf

pps is pedal position sensors, see the previous attached pdf, look for b22. Not sure if the pedal has the pins number on it.

Ok. Well I have very limited electrical engineering knowledge so the schematics is quite hard for me to read... Can you say what all the B22 pins mean? I mean where the supply voltage and ground is, where are those 2 pedal potentiometer outputs etc? Do you get the schematics from TIS2000?

Today whole power steering column will arrive at my place - I will be dealing with the motor soon - I will try to get TIS2000 and see if I can explore some stuff myself... in case you would have some info about the steering motor (or the ECU general pinout) this is highly welcome! :)

At this moment I cannot say which B22 pins do what. There is no ground, only supply; potentiometer outputs straight into engine ecu. Yes, I use TIS2000.